Watch our previously recorded home buying webinar
Find out how to be a successful home buyer in our local Silicon Valley Housing Market.
I cover everything you need to know before buying a home in order to make a great home-buying decision and avoid costly mistakes.
Some of the questions I go over:
- Why am I buying a home?
- Is now a good time to buy a home in the Bay Area?
- What is the home-buying process?
- How much does it cost?
- How long should the process take?
- How do I choose an agent?
- How do I choose a lender?
- What should I be looking for when searching for a home?
- Where should I buy a home in the Bay Area?
- What are the costs of owning a home?
- Should you buy a newer or older home?
- Should you buy a Single Family or Condo or a Townhome?
- What is an HOA?
You’ll gain insight on topics such as selecting an agent and lender, understanding the home buying process, searching for the right property, making an offer, closing costs, and more.
Take the necessary steps to ensure your home-buying experience is as smooth and stress-free as possible.
Why a I Buying a Home?
The question is: Why am I buying a home? – Not – Why should you buy a home? People buy homes for lots of different reasons, and I don’t think that everyone should buy a home or let me rephrase that, sometimes in people’s lives it may not be the right time to buy a home.
One of the motivations I hear sometimes is whether I am buying the home as an investment or a strategy for building wealth.
Tax benefits, write off interest especially if you have a high income, but limited to $750K loan.
- Stability, Family, Wealth Building, Good Investment
- Wealth-building or investment reasons require more thought and scrutiny
- Ensure that you will remain in your home for at least 5 years
- Reasons of home ownership outweigh the costs and risks
One thing I will caution home buyers is if you are mainly thinking of buying a home as an investment, run the numbers.
Buying a home is expensive in the bay area, but you know what is even more expensive, selling a home.
When you sell a home expect to pay around 5% in selling costs. That $50K on a million dollar home.
Understand the commitment that comes with buying a home. Its not easy to move so you have to be certain of the area that you buy.
Is it convenient, is it conducive to your lifestyle and where you are in life.
It’s very important to know how long you anticipate to live in that home.
If you don’t think it will be longer than 5 years, you may want to reconsider if buying a home will be a good investment or give you the return you are expecting.
Is Now a Good Time to Buy a Home in the Bay Area?
The better question is: Is it a good time for ME to buy a home in the Bay Area?
A few things to consider:
- Primary reason for buying?
- Generally it is challenging to buy a home in the Bay Area due to cost and competition (never a good time or easy time)
- Understand the Current Market Risks and Advantages
- Is it possible to time the market?
- Market Seasonality
What is the Home Buying Process?
Steps to Buying a Home:
- Working with an Agent
- Identifying your Needs
- Home Search
- Understanding the Properties
- Making an Offer
- Post Escrow
How Long Should the Home Buying Process Take?
There is no timetable for buying a home.
The length of time will likely depend on the market, the home that you are looking for and how prevalent it is in the area you are looking in.
It could take weeks, months, or even years.
How Do I Choose an Agent?
- Referral from Friend or Colleague
- Online – Review Site
- Meet Agents at Open Houses
Important to choose an agent who:
Knows what they are doing.
Cares about you. Takes the time to listen to you.
You feel you can trust them.
How Do I Choose a Lender?
- Recommendations from friends
- Your bank
- Credit union
- Shop around
- Agent recommendations
What Should I Be Looking for When Searching for a Home?
This gets back to the first question, why am I buying a home?
I put more weight on things like location and floor plan because these details affect where and how I live.
A good understanding of construction, different areas, and communities help in determining the right home.
Contact Me Today
Have a question? Interested in setting an appointment to talk about your real estate plans? Contact me today.